Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Feeling Yucky

I've spent the last three days sick. I slept for 15 hours sunday night, got up checked my email, drank theraflu and slept for another 2 hours. I slept so hard I didn't even have to put my earplugs in to muffle the noise of construction that is going on just a few yards from our apt.

On another yucky note, I had a very unpleasant conversation with my dad today. He called to "remind" me that mother's day is in two weeks. Now, I should note that he is not concerned about me getting my mom something for mother's day, but wants me to get Sharon, my step-mom something. He has to ask, because he knows that I won't unless he does and even then not happily. I for one, wouldn't want someone to get me a gift because they were told to or even asked to nicely. I prefer thoughtful, love-inspired gifts. I have none of these to give to Sharon. She is not my mom and I resent the idea that I am obligated to get her a gift. My dad always brings up "how much they do for us" in these conversations. My feeling on this is that I don't expect anything, I'm delighted to be given nice things, but I certaintly don't EXPECT anything. The other point he loves to make is, "how would you feel if we left Chris out of everything, because it's the same thing." No it's not. Step-mom and son-in-law are two way different things in my mind. But even if it were so, I would still never expect my dad to buy Chris gifts because he felt obligated.

With grad school I haven't had the time, energy or money to keep up with birthday cards and gifts. I have neglected my birthday gift and card writing with only a few exceptions. My list of "must sends" are small gifts/cards to my sisters on their birthdays, a birthday and Father's day gift to my dad and a small birthday gift to Morgan, my adorable little niece. (And of course Chris.) I don't even send my mother a Mother's day card anymore. And I don't feel all that bad about it either, seeing as these days she doesn't even bother to let me know where she is living (I hear rumors from my sisters that she has moved to Wyoming or maybe Montana).

So when my dad called asking, so diplomatically, "I was just wondering if you were planning on getting something for Sharon for mother's day and her birthday?" I was not at all thrilled. (Although I knew it was coming, as Becca called me yesterday to say dad was planning on talking to me about this.) I responded, obviously irritated, that I would send her a card and had arranged to go in on a Mother's Day gift with Becca. "And what about her birthday?" came the reply. "When's her birthday?" was mine. "Same time it was last year." Cute dad, real cute. Let's just say the conversation didn't end well. June 4th is her birthday and all she is getting is the cheapest damn card I can find.

No comments: