Saturday, September 17, 2005

Chainsaws, Hedgetrimmers and Shears...OH MY!

There used to be a HUGE bush in our front yard. I hated the bush from day one. It wasn't just a bush, it was a bush covered in ivy. It was taller than the roof and some 5ft wide and 4ft deep . In my opinion, it was unsafe as someone could hide behind it near the front door and I wouldn't be able to see them from the sidewalk.

Today I bought a chainsaw. Yes me. All by myself. And I cut the 12ft bush down to a more appropriate size - 3ft. I had never used a chainsaw before, but it wasn't nearly as scary as the guys at the hardware store made it sound. "Are you going to do the chainsaw work??" they asked me. "Why yes." I replied with confidence and I continued to the checkstand with my new chainsaw. They called after me: "be careful, those saws can kickback."

Humph. I managed just fine hardware guys. It was hard work, I'm scraped up and was covered in sawdust, leaves and who knows what else, but I don't mind that so much. I've worked harder and been dirtier. It actually felt kinda good to tackle a project that I wasn't sure I could do by myself when I started.

I didn't really think the project through though. Now I have two huge piles of brush in the front yard - one of the bush, the other they ivy (the ivy pile is almost the same size as the bush pile!). The landfill wants $16/cubic yard to dispose of it and I think we have 3-4 cubic yards. Maybe I will look into renting or buying a used chipper and mulching it. We'll see. But I'm done for today.

Oh, and perhaps you're wondering why I tackled this project on my own? Well, for one Chris doesn't care much for spiders and didn't want anything to do with what was living in that bush, but what it really came down to is that Chris built us a shelf for the canned goods in the garage today. So I decided to give myself a project as well -which started out to be cleaning the house, but once I finished that and still had the afternoon ahead of me decided to tackle the bush. The new shelf looks wonderful and will be great for organizing our canned goods and the bush (though in a very ugly brown state) is now at a more manageable height.

It was a very productive day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i totally don't believe you did it on your own.

:)

well, i do. but i don't.

Kat said...

When Chris tried to "help" (really he just wanted to play with the cool new power tool) he jammed the chain saw and had to take the next 30 minutes to put the chain back on. He did help clear the brush on Sunday though.