Monday, November 27, 2006

Button

I'm 16 weeks into my pregnancy and my tummy is coming along very well. I still don't look pregnant, despite the shift in my wardrobe to maternity clothes. I imagine that most people that don't know I'm expecting just think I've put on a few pounds. Which is true, but the weight is not all mine. Morning sickness is now confined to just the morning, which is a huge relief. My energy level is returning to pre-pregnancy levels and I'm also getting my appetite back.

We got tired pretty quick of referring to the little person growing inside me as "the baby" so decided a nickname was in order. "It" and "the baby" just don't do it for me. It took several weeks of negotiating on the nickname, far longer than it took for us to narrow down our real name choices. My vote was for Cricket and Chris wanted Ralph or Bogart. We finally settled on Button.

This is mostly necessary since we aren't going to find out whether it's a boy or girl until May. Most people are very surprised that we don't want to find out the sex of Button. Neither Chris nor I felt strongly about finding out and after a couple of weeks of thinking about it decided that it would be fun to wait. I think this is partly because we eventually want to have a boy and a girl so there isn't a strong desire for one sex over another. Ok, that's not quite true. Chris very much wants this to be a boy and constantly refers to Button as a boy. Chris has no pronoun issues - "he" is used because as far as Chris is concerned, Button is a boy. I, on the other hand would like to have a girl. Although not as strongly as Chris wants a boy. But, I guess we basically balance each other out. I think we will want to find out the sex of our second child early on, just because we'll both be wanting the same thing - whatever Button isn't. I'm also not at all into gender-specific colors and the such. Even if I knew Button was a girl, she would not be getting the pink princess room. Nor would a boy be getting the blue sport-themed room. Just not my thing.

No comments: