Thursday, November 09, 2006

Hmmm

Notice anything odd in the picture?



I was so happy a few months back when bath & body works had a sale. I decided to buy four different kinds of body wash so that I could choose which scent I wanted to fit my mood instead of being stuck with one flavor for 4 months. I just realized this week however, that I don't choose which I use by my mood. In fact, I most often don't even look to see which scent I've chosen. Do you know how I choose which one to use? I pick the one that is the fullest, thereby keeping the level of body wash equal across all four bottles. This can't be normal.

I think this is related to my compulsive organizational behavior. Chris always points to the fact that the chemicals on my lab bench are in alphabetical order. I actually paused to decide whether NaCl (sodium chloride or table salt) should be put with the N's or the S's. I finally decided to go based on it's full name. 5M NaCl solution is found under S and dH2O is found under W. I find this organization handy for many reasons. For one, its easy to find solutions, even seldom used solutions that get pushed to the back that are hard to fine. There is also the nice side benefit of knowing when someone has been stealing your reagents - thieves rarely think to put it back where they got it!

Another example of my weirdness. With the lab closing down at the end of the year, we have been making an effort to get rid of seldom used reagents, finish up stockpiled tubes, pipet tips, kim wipes, microscope slides, etc. It actually makes me feel happy to finish off a box kim wipes or microscope slides. It's like I've accomplished something just by going about my day. I'm sure no one else in my feels this way.

No comments: