Friday, December 08, 2006

Still Waiting

I'm eating my third breakfast of the morning, a small portion of cottage cheese with a side of strawberries. I have to eat slowly, pausing a few moments between each bite to double check with my stomach that it is accepting the offering of peace and not going to force me to make a run for the bathroom. My stomach and I go through this routine every morning (I'm at 17 weeks, shouldn't this be over by now?) Usually by lunch everything is okay, but mornings are still touch and go. I start the day with some crackers, a luna bar or maybe a poptart before I ever get out of bed. These first bites are the most crucial. If I can keep my first attempt at breakfast down, it bodes well for the rest of the day. Second breakfast is usually a scrabbled egg with a side of toast or english muffin and a small glass of gatorade diluted 1:1 with water (most juice is just too acidic this early in the day). Second breakfast is also eaten slowly, so slow that my egg is often cold by the time I finish. Third breakfast is eaten once I get into lab and my stomach is upset over the hurry to get out of the house and the motion of the car.

Overall I am feeling better, but I'm still waiting for the morning sickness to end. My energy level is returning, the scale is moving in the positive direction, rather than negative as it did for the first few months, as my appetite slowly returns. But mornings are still rough. My stomach wakes me up demanding food early in the morning, despite the rest of my body yearning for more sleep. I now know better than to try to ignore my stomach and try to go back to sleep. What stomach wants, stomach gets, when stomach wants it.

No comments: