Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Holiday Knitting Projects

I managed to get all of my knitted gifts done before Christmas - although I was still knitting Chris' dad's scarf on the plane on Christmas eve! Here are some pictures:

For my niece, Morgan, I knitted a hat and scarf using pink and orange worsted weight yarn. The scarf is a simple k1 p1 pattern on size 8 needles that I repeated until I had 4 feet of scarf done. For the hat I used my size 7 circular needles. I did alternating rows of knit and purl (garter stitch) for 1.5 inches to get the edge, and then did all knit for the remainder of the hat. The hat pattern ws modified slightly from the Last Minute Knitted Gifts pattern for a child's hat. The hat and scarf turned out almost as cute as she is!

For Chris' brother, David I knitted a scarf using a grey bulky weight wool. In the picture David has the scarf folded in two, it is actually over 6 ft in length. To get the checkerboard pattern I used size 10 needles:
1. First seven rows: k7 p7* repeat 3 times.
2. Next seven rows: p7 k7* repeat 3 times.
3. Repeat steps 1-2 until desired length is reached.

Chris' dad's scarf is a simple garter stitch scarf (knit all rows). I used Cascade Yarn's bulky chocolate brown wool on size 10 needles to make this scarf fast.

I also made a scarf for Chris' stepmom. I didn't get a picture of it but it turned out really neat. I used the super-soft Panache yarn from knitpicks.com on size 10 needles to make it.
The pattern:
Cast on 21 stitches
Row 1: k1 p1, repeat to last st, end k1.
Row 2: knit all.
Repeat these two rows until desired length is reached. End with Row1. Bind off loosely as if to knit.
This scarf folded up on itself a bit. I attempted to block the scarf (my first attempt ever at blocking), which ended up making the scarf very long, but didn't cure the folding in problem. It still turned out alright, although if I were make another I don't think I would bother blocking it.

No comments: