Monday, February 05, 2007

Teaching

I've been so busy with teaching that it's been difficult to find time to post. I'm a GSI for MCB102, biochemistry and I'm teaching two Bio1a (intro to bio) labs at Holy Names University in Oakland. As usual, I underestimated the amount of time it would take to effectively teach these three classes. The Biochem has been difficult just because it has been so long since I've thought about buffers, pKa, Kd, etc. The Bio1A labs have been fun, but I'm putting together most of the curriculum myself, which means I have to write up the labs, order reagents, pre-run the labs, teach the lab and grade the lab reports. To say it's a lot of work is an understatement.

In other news I've reached the 26 week mark - only 14 weeks (assuming Button comes on-time) left. This last month has been a good one. My energy level is high - outmatched only slightly by Button's who seems to think my uterus is one of those inflatable jump structures. It's really cool to feel Button kicking and squirming, but it's not always convenient or comfortable. Button seems to be the most active just before I go to bed and at about 4am. On more than one occasion the 4am jumping up and down on my bladder like it's trampoline has sent me hurrying for the bathroom! The kicks are strong enough now that Chris has been able to put his hand on my belly and feel them. I'm also getting big enough now that strangers realize that I'm pregnant. This is sometimes very convenient, as people will offer to let you cut in line in the bathroom, offer you their seat when all others are taken or just make small talk. Although I have seriously contemplated buying this T-shirt as I get asked the same set of questions by just about everyone who realizes I'm pregnant for the first time. And it's not like I have any room to talk. I've asked these very same questions and I don't mind talking to people about it, but it does get a little old. Especially since I've known that I'm pregnant for 6 months, but the rest of the world is just now figuring it out.

No comments: