This morning at around 2am I awoke with a start. Something wasn't right with my ear. My right ear canal sounded and felt like it had been turned into a wind tunnel. It was like someone was blowing, hard, into my ear. It was the weirdest thing. It was kind of like having water in your ear, but different. My ear didn't hurt and it wasn't ringing, but there was this noise - like wind, but not. It came and went for several hours. I couldn't sleep, so I searched WebMD and other sites trying to figure out what could be wrong with my ear. It didn't seem as serious as a perforated ear drum - my ear didn't hurt. I have had a little cold this week, but ear infections don't usually start this suddenly, do they? I finally decided I would need to go to a doctor and found that the urgent care in Salinas opened at 8am. So I waited. And waited. For hours. With that annoying wind sound in my ear. Finally, 7am came around, I got Carson dressed and fed and we set off for the urgent care center.
When I got to the urgent care the doctor listened to my symptoms and was convinced I had a middle ear infection. But he couldn't see my ear drum with his little ear light thingy. He said I had too much wax built up in my ear and he needed to irrigate my ear first and then would be back to look at my ear, convinced he would find fluid behind my eardrum.
You'll never believe what came next. The nurse irrigated my ear but it wasn't wax that came out (ok, there was a bit of wax) but there was also a small moth in my ear! Yes, that's right. A moth flew into my ear in the middle of the night and had been fluttering around in there trying to get out for hours! How creepy is that?! Now this wasn't a big moth, obviously, but one of those little ones that you find attracted to living room lamps and the such. But still. There was a moth in my ear!!
Both the doctor and the nurse were astonished, obviously. I, on the other hand, thought well that totally fits. I mean, after I got over then fact that I just had a moth flushed out of my ear. My theory is that the moth must have been attracted to Carson's video monitor that is on the nightstand beside the bed and somehow fell or otherwise got into my ear and couldn't get out. Seriously, have you ever heard of something like this? I'm going to have to do a moth-check of my room before I go to bed now. And the video monitor is getting turned off. No more lights near my ears!!
Wednesday, November 28, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Definitely freaky. That would bug me for quite a while.
all I can say is ewwww! HAHAHa
Post a Comment