Friday, December 07, 2007

The Joys of Mommy-hood

Carson is growing up amazingly fast. If you've read his blog lately, you'll know that he is now sitting up, crawling and pulling himself up into a standing position. I spend most of my day making sure he's not getting into something he's not suppose to. At least he still moves slow enough that I don't have to chase him down, but that won't last long!

He is also eating solid foods both at breakfast and dinner. Which means long gone are those "dijon mustard" diapers that don't smell all that bad. By comparison they were potpourri. We've now entered the toxic waste diapering phase. Totally gross on the best of days. Now imagine what happens when your son has one of these massive, toxic poops while jumping in his jumperoo. Can you say poop up to the armpits? SOOO DISGUSTING. There is no diaper wipe big enough for that. I had to take him straight to the shower and hose him down! Which is harder than it sounds because it takes several minutes to get hot water to come out of our faucets, so I'm standing there holding a wiggling naked baby, covered in green poop, at arms length waiting for the water to get warm. Too bad Chris wasn't home to get a picture of that. It would have made a great blog picture.

I've always wondered how I would handle it when my child would get sick. And by sick I mean vomit. I'm a gagger. Always have been. Especially when it comes to vomit. Watching someone else puke is enough to send me running to the bathroom myself. So I was really surprised how I reacted when Carson threw up for the first time this week. When he started to throw up, my first concern was that he might choke, so I picked him up and put him on to my shoulder, holding him so that he wouldn't throw his head back. Basically, allowing him throw up all over me. The strange thing is, that it didn't bother me. I didn't even pay all that much attention to the vomit that covered my sweatshirt - my thoughts were fully on my child and whether he was ok. (Now, as soon as he was ok I was out of that sweatshirt and in the shower, but that's beside the point.)

I love my son. There is no doubt in my mind.

1 comment:

This Monday Morning said...

That poop story about the jumperoo is priceless. I laughed so hard, I almost forgot that my stomach is feeling weird because today I ate too much kimchi.