Monday, December 17, 2007

Another entry in the Diaper Diary


Just like I never know what my nights are going to be like (how many times will I get up with Carson? Will this be the night he sleeps until morning?), I also never know what the morning diaper has in store for me. Now that Carson is on solid foods, the morning diaper is usually the worst of the day. Sometime in the early morning hours, a toxic delivery is made to his diaper. Thankfully, most mornings the digustingness is contained in the diaper and with a scrunched up noise and a few comments about the stinkiness of my little stinker's diaper I survive the morning diaper. But every once in awhile, the toxic poop is not contained. Whether the diaper was not secured quite snuggly enough the night before or whether Carson was just a little more active in his crib overnight, the cause of the leakage is often a mystery.

Which brings me to this morning's diaper. Or lack there of. I went to change Carson's diaper this morning, noting the tell-tell smell that indicated that the toxic poop fairy had indeed visited Carson last night. But nothing could have prepared me for what I found when I unbuttoned Carson's new fleece sleeper with the snowman on the front. What I found inside was a naked Carson. No diaper was on my child. But yet his sleeper had been completely fastened. How had this happened? Did we forget to put a diaper on him? Surely not. I was stumped for a moment and then suddenly quite aware of what a lack of diaper meant.

"CHRIS!" I screamed, "I need you in here NOW!" (A very groggy Chris enters the room, sees the mess and says "OHH GROSSS!")

Carson, lying not so still on his changing table, was absolutely coated in thick, gross green poop from the waist down. Chris ran a bath for Carson, while I tried to wipe off some of the yuckiness, without much luck. Carson cried the entire time, partly due to the fact that I was holding him naked at arms length and partly due to the fact that he was really hungry. But poop of this magnitude takes precedent over fixing a bottle. After a bath, starting a load of laundry with extra soap, hot water and a 2nd rinse cycle, Carson did finally get his morning milk and stop crying. What a way to start your day - for both of us.

What happened to his diaper? I guess we'll never know. Just kidding. We found the perfectly clean diaper balled up in the foot of Carson's sleeper. Apparently, he wiggled out of it during the night and it ended up shoved down into the bottom of his sleeper. Tonight I'm bringing out the duct tape.

2 comments:

This Monday Morning said...

You are making this up, I don't believe you.

By the way, great picture of Carson. He looks so much like you and Chris!

Kat said...

I could never make this stuff up. Just wait...your day will come.