Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Thanksgiving Prep

We decided to have a "quiet" Thanksgiving at home this year. And by quiet I mean we decided to invite our friends over and I'm fixing Turkey and ALL the fixin's for 10 people! Yesterday was suppose to be clean the house night, but I got stuck in line at Albertsons for over an hour trying to buy my 21 lbs turkey and 8 lbs ham. And then I had to go to two other stores to find mini-marshmellows. Apparently there is a shortage of mini-marshmellows. Seems like an odd thing to be in high demand, but whatever. It was exhausting and I decided I was too tired to clean. I thought I'd be able to fit it in today, but no, it took way longer to bake than I had planned on (today was the official bake day, tomorrow being cook the turkey day). I made 2 loaves of french bread, 2 pans of pan rolls, an apple pie, a pumpkin pie and Chris made a HUGE lemon meringue pie and a pecan pie. We won't be serving the pecan pie though - the glass pie pan shattered during the baking of the pecan pie. Not sure what happened, but we opened the oven to take the pie out and the pie was sitting on the oven rack surrounded by glass shards. Oh well. We'll have plenty of food. I thought about making pumpkin bread, but it just go too late and I'm pretty well baked out. And my arm really hurts, I think all that dough kneading was a bad idea. I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to cook all the food tomorrow with only one stove. Especially with a huge turkey that's going to take 6 hours to cook! This is what we have planned (in addition to the desserts listed above):

Turkey
Ham
Stuffing (in and out of the bird)
Turkey Gravy
Mashed Potatoes
Homemade cranberry sauce
Sweet Potato Casserole (the kind with marshmellows - yummy)
Steamed Broccoli
Asparagas sauteed in garlic
Pan rolls
Garlic bread
Watergate salad
Green salad
Veggie casserole
Hot spiced apple cider

I'm getting hungry just thinking about it. And tired at the thought of cooking it all! I'm sure it will be fun though. I'm really looking forward to sharing this wonderful meal with friends.

No comments: