Sorry I haven't been blogging more. I've been really busy lately. We have a rotation student in lab and he's working with me on my project. Justin's great. He's got experience working with flies and training has been minimal. I've got him working on more interesting parts of my project, while I am suffering through some horrible cloning (making DNA constructs). The combination of getting Just started on his project and this cloning has made for long and rather frustrating days. I just hope these PCRs start working soon. Getting these things to work seems like such chance. Changing the different conditions and variables doesn't seem to do much. I stare at the tubes and try to will the reactions inside to work. Maybe I should look into getting some fairy dust or something.
Anyway, I got good (and scary) news this week. I told you I got the scholarship to attend the Wnt signaling meeting where I am going to present a poster? Well I just got invited to give a short talk (10 min with 5 min for questions) at this meeting in addition to presenting my poster. My PI (Steve) says this is a huge deal, that it is VERY rare for a graduate student to be invited to talk at the keystone meetings. When I first saw the email, I was really excited, but now I'm just kind of scared. Especially now that Steve has started hinting that I should talk to some of the faculty at this meeting about possible postdoctoral positions. I guess I probably should, as it can't hurt to talk, but it's so stressful when I don't know what I want to do a year from now. I definitely feel like I could get a good post doc, but I don't know if that's what I want. When I told Steve that I didn't know if I wanted to do a post doc, he said he knew that, he was just trying to give me a settle nudge in the "right" direction. I don't know how I feel about the pressure. I know Steve just wants me to do well and succeed and this his way of saying he knows I can do it. And I agree, but is it what I want?
So not one, but two talks this semester. Not bad.
Saturday, February 04, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
not bad at all - congratulations! :) wrt if it's what you want to do....I don't think that thinking about it will help you get to a solution. For me, I lean away from The Academy because I'm not enthusiastic about the time committment. But, it's hard to know what you want to do and what you'll be happy doing. I empathize. but enjoy the conferences!!
Post a Comment