For the past 8 years, I have had a monopoly on bathroom counter space. Oh sure, I give Chris a drawer to put his shaving stuff and there is room in the medicine cabinet for his deodorant, cologne and hair gel. Until recently that was the extent of his lease on space in the bathroom. But lately there has been an expansion of his bathroom products. Namely, facial cleanser, moisturizer and yes even anti-wrinkle cream! As a see the expanding men's care product lines at target, I am sure that I not the only woman out there that is experiencing this silent battle in the bathroom. Don't get me wrong, I still hold 95% of the space in the bathroom. I have makeup that I wear occassionally, makeup that I don't wear but might someday, brushes, combs, curling irons, blow dryer, as well as the standard facial care products and toiletries. Like most people, I expand to my surroundings and fill every space in the medicine cabinet, which is why I notice that I now have to stack my multi-vitamin on top of my anti-wrinkle cream in order for everything to fit - due to my husband's recent interest in pampering himself.
There was a time in his life when the only soap he found necessary was a bar of ivory. He has even been known to wash his hair *gasp* with the bar of soap. (Frankly I won't wash my face with your standard bar soap let alone even consider putting it in my hair!) So I was a bit surprised when he started asking about my skin care products. "Why do you need a special moisturizer for you face, what's wrong with the hand lotion?" Appalled at the idea of putting hand lotion on my face (for fear of the subsequent breakout for the oils in the lotion) I reply, "hand lotion is for moisturizing and repairing chapped hands - facial moisturizer softens the face as well as reduces fine lines (at least that's what the marketing says)." A few weeks later I notice new additions to the medicine cabinet. Blue and platinum bottles with simple, straight-forward descriptions like "Face Wash" and "Face Lotion." (in contrast to the pink and white bottles on my side of the medicine cabinet labeled "facial cleanser," "clarifying lotion" and "facial moisturizer")
Not that I mind him using these products. I think guys should take better care of their skin. I think the stigma of manly men not needing/wanting/even considering using skin care products is just silly. The taboo seems to be dissolving, although companies are using marketing to ease guys into the transition. Like making moisturizers, sorry "face lotion", with sunscreen (a good thing I realize) so that guys can feel like they're being health-conscious rather than fashion-conscious.
Monday, May 15, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment