Warning: blog post ahead contains information you may or may not want to know about my life. Proceed at your own risk. And don't say I didn't warn you.
I've spent most of my adult life trying NOT to get pregnant. So it's a bit surprising to me now that I would like to be pregnant, just how difficult it is to GET pregnant. Who knew there was really only a 2-3 day period a month that you can actually get pregnant? At any given moment I can tell you when I expect to ovulate and as an added bonus the likely birthdate of our child should we be successful this time around. March 14th. I think March would be a good month to have a baby, don't you? Not to hot, not too cold. Spring seems like a wonderful time to bring a new life into this word. Very poetic and all that.
We haven't been exactly shy about telling people that we'd like to have a family (sorry to those of you who probably just didn't want to know that we're "trying" but we're really excited by the whole thing...and keeping secrets just isn't our thing). Anyone who knows us at all, knows that we have put off starting a family because of graduate school and REALLY want to have kids. Now that I know that I will be finished with school in December, well let's just say we've decided it's time to start the next stage of our lives - parenthood. And like most young people these days, we want what we want NOW not later, not a month from now, but RIGHT NOW. So it's a bit frustrating that these things don't happen as quickly as one might like. And I really think it's poor design that if we're unsuccessful that we have to wait an ENTIRE MONTH before we have a chance at it again.
I know it's entirely reasonable that I'm not pregnant yet. I've been on birth control for 8 years. It's going to take my body a couple of months to adjust and all that. I had a pre-conception OBGYN visit about 6 weeks ago. The doctor even warned me that it could take a while - on average it takes 6 months for couples to conceive. So I should be patient. BUT I DON'T WANT TO BE PATIENT - I WANT TO BE PREGNANT ALREADY!!
The other interesting thing is that I've been putting my body through de-tox. I've started wearing gloves in lab again for even the "not so bad" chemicals, stopped drinking caffeinated drinks (I really miss that 2 o clock diet cherry vanilla dr. peppper), I take my vitamins every morning and don't drink alcohol if I think I could be pregnant. So this means I get to have wine with dinner for two weeks and then no wine with dinner for two weeks and then I soon as I know I'm not pregnant, I drink away my disappointment with another 1/2, okay, full bottle of wine. There are some pluses - like I'm off cat litter duty and any cleaning that requires the use of household chemicals.
We've already invested a small fortune into pregnancy books and baby name books. And everytime I knit something for someone else's new arrival, I can't help but think about when I'll finally get to make all the cute little knitted things for my baby.
So yeah. That's really what's been on my mind for the last few weeks. I'd like to think that if I do get pregnant I will finally be able to focus on getting my research and dissertation done, but we all know that's not going to happen. I'll be too busy knitting cute little hats and sweaters!
Sunday, June 11, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I hear ya and totally empathize! We waited until I was done with toxic lab work to start working on the parenthood plan. I know both the feeling on wanting it NOW and having to wait. I wish you luck for a quick conception (well, you know what I mean...). :)
Something that you might enjoy, as a dorky scientist like me, is basal body temp taking. There is a good website, fertilityfriend.com, where you can get a free account (ignore their offers for the pro one) and enter your morning temperture each day. I did it and enjoyed the data aspect and the feeling of control.
Post a Comment