This weekend did not quite go as I had planned. I had hoped to make some more progress on my cloning this weekend, set up a few ligations, a PCR and manage some fly crosses. This didn't happen.
Instead, the simple act of washing sheets and flipping our mattress changed the course of the entire weekend. And how, might you ask, can flipping your mattress change one's weekend plans? Why, when you flip it over and find mold growing on the underside. Yucky, disgusting, smelly mold. Upon further examination we found mold under a nearby window, on our end tables and even on books located in the bookshelf near our bed.
So of course, this led to a massive clean-up operation. Furniture was moved out, buckets of diluted bleach and dentured alcohol were moved in. Every book was wiped down with alcohol, all surfaces wiped with bleach in an effort to rid our home of the mold. We were able to salvage most everything - except our mattress, our wonderful, soft, best bed I've ever slept on mattress. It was heart-breaking, 2 years is just too short a time to have with such a mattress. I cried. And at the many mattress stores I lamented on how I would never find another mattress to take it's place.
Ultimately we did decide on a new bed. A nice one by Aireloom - the softest of the line - that includes some memory foam in the "euro top." We slept on the new bed last night for the first time. It was nice, but still doesn't live up to my old one. I'm hoping the new bed will grow on me (and not grow mold).
Monday, June 12, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Tragic!
Post a Comment