Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Has it really been that long?

There has actually been some interesting things going on lately, I just haven't really gotten around to posting on them. And I can't really say that I don't have time, unless to say it's because I'm too busy with my other means of procrasting. I mean I have A TON to do. Just 4 months until my dissertation has to be filed. I won't even list off all that has to be done before I can even start writing my dissertation. But it's a lot. And I have only been working on it half-heartedly. I think I'm still recovering from the failed cloning experiments. And the amount of work that needs to be done is immense. It's like standing at the base of large mountain, knowing you have to climb it, but being so overwhelmed by it's height and steepness, that you hestitate to even begin. I know I just need to take one day at a time, put one foot in front of the other, but I'm just not there yet. Every morning I wake up and give myself a pep talk - try to set goals and motivate myself, but at the end of the day I leave lab saying - "tomorrow, definitely tomorrow".


But enough of that. Chris and I celebrated our 8th wedding anniversary yesterday. Chris lost his wedding ring while playing frisbee a few weeks back - so I got him a new titanium ring for our anniversary. I like this new one a lot - I posted a picture of it from the Jeweler's website. We both took yesterday afternoon off and just spent some time together. We ended up in Sausalito for lunch and then did some window shopping in the fancy shops. We also did a little wine tasting on our way through wine country and had an excellent steak at Cole's Chop House in downtown Napa.

I had my 10th year High School Reunion about a week ago. It was in Modesto, just 2 hours away, so I went. I have to say I was skeptical about going. High school was a rough time for me. We moved around a lot - I went to 4 different high schools in 4 years (in 3 different states)! Needless to say I didn't have the long-time friendships many of my classmates had. But I went anyway, and amazingly enough I had a good time. It was fun to catch up with old friends, marvel at how some people had completely changed and while others not a bit. I even found that some of my classmates are now living in the bay area and we promised to get together again soon. I honestly hope we do.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So I am glad that you are having motivation issues as well. Honetly, I find every day a challenge to just open the laptop and re-read what I last wrote. I have definitely lost momentum and have to start up all over again. But I know that we are both smart, determined women and we'll get our papers done in the end. But boy, the ride is NOT going to be fun.

Good luck!