Thursday, February 17, 2005

Seeds

I got the seeds for my garden in the mail today.



I decided to order them online because I was having trouble finding what I wanted at the local stores (home depot, etc). I'm excited to try several new things this year in addition to the traditional tomatoes, beans, squash and zucchini that I normally do.

Since we have gotten into making soups, I'll be trying my hand at growing leeks, (a kind of mild onion) turnips and a variety of herbs. For salads, I'm going to plant some mixed greens, spinach, traditional leaf lettuce as well as lemon cucumbers. I planted 2 lemon cucumber plants last year and they did just fantastic! They are just the right size for a salad for two. They are yellow and about the size of lemon (hence the name) and taste like a zesty cucumber. Highly recommended for any other gardeners/cucumber lovers out there.

And tomatoes. I love tomatoes fresh from the garden. I got several kinds, including Early girls (which as their name implies, gives fruit early in the season) as well as several new hybrids, some big, some small. Some determinant, some indeterminant (give up all their fruit at once or spread out over the season). I also made sure that most all of them were mildew and fungus resistant. Last year the village garden as a whole got hit with some kind of mildew that destroyed much of the tomato crop. This year I'm determined to have my tomatoes! They're practically the reason I go through the trouble of gardening at all.

Anyway, coming home and finding the seeds in my mailbox was the highlight of my day. I worked over 11 hours today in lab trying out a small pilot purification of my protein. Another completely new-to-me protocol. I'll know tomorrow if it works and could be ready to scale up production next week if it did work.

No comments: