Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Hair cut

About a year ago, Chris was having problems finding a hair stylist that could cut his hair at a reasonable price (less than $40, which believe it or not is hard to find in the bay area). He had one particularly bad hair cut from a discount hair cutter and after seeing the results, asked the stylist to shave all of his hair off. When I saw him I was really upset. Especially when he proceeded to the bathroom, to finish the job with a razor. Ever since that hair cut, I have been cutting Chris' hair.

As I am not a trained hair stylist there has been some unpredictability in his hair cuts and some small mistakes. For example, it took awhile to get the "blending" of the sides done right and I may have cut his ear a little trying to get those stubborn hairs that like to grow over the top of his ear once or twice. Last time, I cut the front a little uneven and a little short (a bad combo) but we straightened it out a week later once it had grown a little. Overall, it hasn't been too bad and we've saved a bit of money as well. Until last night.

The haircut was actually going remarkably well. In fact I was thinking to myself that I might finally be getting the hang of this. Start with the 3 guard and buzz the sides. Take the scissors and cut the top, straighten up the neckline with the razor and finally trim the front. So far so good. The only thing left was to thin his hair on the top of his head with a special pair of scissors that only cut a portion of the hair that it takes it it's teeth. Well, as it turns out, we have two small pairs of scissors that look an awful lot alike. One, the special pair of thinning scissors, the others a small pair of normal hair cutting scissors. But, I just grabbed the first pair of small scissors I saw, assuming they were the thinning scissors. I made the first cut before I realized my mistake. Upon seeing the resulting bald spot, I dropped the scissors and gasped (seriously-just like in the movies when somebody kills someone and then drops the gun in shock). Chris immediately turns to me and asked what I had done. Then he saw the scissors on the floor and got up to look for himself in the mirror. I'd just like to stop here and say that I have a wonderful husband. By this time I am crying and mumbling how sorry I am that I cut a hole in his head. He says "it's not so bad" and starts trying to "blend" the bald spot in with the thinning scissors. After a few minutes I compose myself enough convince him to sit down a let me try to fix it. I re-cut his entire head in order to lessen the difference between the bald spot and the rest of his hair. After a bit of work, it didn't look nearly as bad, although there is still a noticable bald spot if one knows where to look.

Chris spent the rest of the night trying to convince me it was okay. Offering reassurances such as, "I am taller than most people in my office, only Brian will be able to see the top of my head and if I angle my head right, I doubt he will even notice." I fell asleep invisioning my husband walking into his boss' office, declining a chair and standing with the left side of his head tilted away from his boss.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I couldn't help but respond to this, I am laughing so hard. ;D

Kat said...

It wasn't funny at the time, but it makes for a good post. I can hardly tell when he puts gel in his hair that there is anything wrong with it. It is significantly shorter than I normally cut it, but it looks alright. Thankfully.
Thanks for reading BTW.