Monday, October 10, 2005

Upper GI Endoscopy

I now have detailed pictures of what the inside of my stomach looks like. Pink and slimy looking for the most part. And apparently just fine, as the doctor found no sign of an ulcer, irritation or heaven forbid cancer. So that's good. But what the hell is wrong with my stomach? I've been treated for acid reflux (I think it's a fad diagnosis) and have been taking the very expensive Nexium for over a year. After my recent visit to urgent care I finally got the "student death center" to refer me to a specialist. He immediately decided to do the endoscopy. But since that didn't turn up anything the new theory is gallstones. I now have to have an ultrasound done on my gallbladder to see if I have gallstones. I wonder if they'll make me drink a bunch of water like they do when you have an ultrasound during pregnancy. At least my deductible is paid now. They can do all the expensive tests they want to figure out what's wrong with me. They just have to figure it out by December. I don't want to have to fork over another $200!!

Endoscopy (ĕn-dŏs'kĕpē)is a funny word. For some reason I can't help but pronounce it ĕndōskōpē. I keep trying to tell myself it's just like microscopy, but the wiring in my brain just wants to say ĕndōskōpē. I blame my parents.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Ok, this is too weird, I just had this done last Thursday, but my diagnosis wasn't as good as yours.

I have a bleeding ulcer that is currently healing, a hiatal hernia, and diverticulitus in the esophagus.

This is so weird man, freaky!

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry that you are having to go through all this-- just what you need in your life. I hope they figure something out before you have a million dollar workup and then get an ulcer.
You're in my thoughts today.

Bjetsey said...

but what do you really think of the tang center? ;>
I hope you are feeling better soon!