Monday, March 20, 2006

Near Death Experience #2: 7 lives left

Last year Helix almost drowned in the bath (Near death experience #1). Last week, Helix had his second brush with death, and in my opinion is now down to just 7 lives.

We're not quite sure what happened. I was sitting on the couch knitting when I heard a loud thud and turned around to see Helix lying on the floor on his back next to the cat tree- convulsing. It was so scary!!! I didn't know what to do. His whole body was twitching and he was drooling from the mouth. I called Chris in from the other room and called the vet. We didn't know whether we should try to move him or what - fearing that he may have broke his back or something. We briefly wondered if we should end his suffering, he looked like he was in terrible pain. Thankfully a few (long) minutes later his convulsing slowed and he turned over onto his stomach. His first couple attempts at standing up failed, but within about 5 minutes he was able to stagger about a bit.

The vet said Helix may have knocked himself out when he fell and the twitching could have been a result of that. He suggested we watch him closely for 24hours and give him half of a baby aspirin. He seems to be back to his normal self now. I'm not sure what happened, but my personal theory is that he was jumping down from the cat tree and somehow missed the kitchen table or slid off and landed on his back. I am under than opinion that this obvious lack of coordination is due to the fact that Helix is very FAT. So, he is on a diet. And hopefully in his next life he will be a skinnier cat.

2 comments:

Bjetsey said...

poor helix, his cat brain can't recalculate trajectories for his larger mass!

This Monday Morning said...

Wow. I am going to tell Nemanja this story. I cant believe the bad luck that cat has.

(By the way, we are in Florence, and will be back in a couple of days. What an adventure we have had. I have to tell you all about it. In person. )