
On Saturday I participated in the MCB Commencement Ceremony. It was exhausting, but great. I've spent a lot of time worrying about whether or not I'd be able to walk. Button's due date afterall was May 15th - so it was really a matter of whether Button would come early or late enough to allow me to walk. Turns out late worked. It was hard to make the drive to and from Berkeley and sit on the stage for almost 3 hours in a hot robe under hot lights, but I made it (I can't remember that last time I made it 3 hours without having to use the bathroom)! And I think my walking might have actually been more important for Chris than for me. You could tell he was really excited and proud. It was a good day.

My favorite part was seeing all my friends so happy - most had just filed their dissertations this last week and were extremely relieved and thrilled to be done. For me, it was the final ending to what has been a long, drawn out process of finishing my Ph.D. I finished writing my dissertation in December, filed in January, and got my two papers accepted for publication this spring. At the end of the day I couldn't help thinking that graduation was bittersweet - knowing that I will probably never see most of these people again. Sure, I'll keep in touch with my closest friends, but I know that even that will be difficult as time passes.

I have so many good memories of my 6 years at Berkeley - and I will cherish them always.

No comments:
Post a Comment