Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Instructions not included



I have started to write this post several times, but I haven't quite figured out how to type and hold Carson at the same time. And I've been trying to sleep when he is sleeping as much as possible, so that has left little time to post my thoughts and pictures from this last week. But right now Carson is down for a nap and I thought it was time to at least post a few more pictures (see Carson's blog).

All in all our first week as parents has gone pretty well. We've had a couple of really long nights, but thanks to teamwork Chris and I managed to keep our sanity and survive until Carson finally decided to stop crying and sleep. I think that's the hardest part of it all - not knowing how to comfort Carson when he's been fed and has a clean diaper, but is still upset. But we're starting to figure out how he likes to be held, the best way to put him down to sleep in his own bed and to accept that sometimes he just has to cry it out.

When he's not crying, Carson is a complete joy. He spends much of his non-crying awake time just taking in the world around him. There's just nothing like holding him and having him look at you with those dark blue eyes... I have to say that I didn't fully appreciate how much and how fast I would fall in love with Carson. I mean, I loved him even before he was born, but it's amazing how deep that feeling goes. I can't even put it into words. Perhaps the best way to illustrate it is through my new found fears. The first night we were home I was obsessed with making sure he was still breathing while he was sleeping. I would wake up every 10-15 minutes and listen intently to hear if he was breathing. I still wake from even the deepest sleep at every little sigh, peep or sneeze he makes.

Anyway, Carson is starting to wake up and he's going to want to eat soon. Enjoy the new pictures, I will try to post a new video in the next few days.

No comments: